Happy Wednesday!
It was so much fun checking out everyone's blogs! I must say though that the Red Lotus blog really caught my eye, haha!
Some aspects that really stood out for me in general was the use of colors and fonts (size/style). It seems within seconds the design scheme was really effective in drawing me in or had less of an effect. I suppose this is extremely important when designing such communication because of how much we compete for someones attention. For example, I just looked through 20 blogs and 3 of them caught my attention enough to really check them out completely.
Some of the extras that I really enjoyed was the use of videos in several blogs. Also, in the yoga blog, I thought the use of a poll was a great way to make it more interactive. In the UR Sexual Health blog, I thought the Skin Disease Finder was really cool.
What did you think?
Its funny, we are now blogging about blogs... :-)
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It was interesting to check out all the class blogs. Everyone had interesting topic ideas that covered such a wide spectrum. The “Grow Your Own Grub” seemed very pertinent not only for our current cultural eating habits, but also with the economic downturn. Gardening provides a healthy outlet for an active lifestyle and at the same time provides produce that is fresh, nutritious, and seasonal. There were many great links and resources to complement the gardening information such as great vegetable recipes.
ReplyDeleteAlong that same vein, I also found the food safety topic interesting. We just finished a lecture on this very topic in my environmental health class and I was fascinated by some of the facts I learned in this class and on the blog.
The “Healthy Traveling” blog is a great idea in our global marketplace. Whether we are traveling near or far, for business or please, it is probably one of the most important, yet least addressed, part of our travel plans.
“The Healthy Turtle” title really piqued my interest and I had to check out what it was about. I loved the visual that greeted you when you opened the website and the quote about turtles living such a balanced life.
What a fun exercise! It was not only interesting to read the information, but I think the designs, and the use of space and color, and the topics also clued me in to who my classmates are and what interests them. There were several that I really, truly, enjoyed, but my favorite was the Healthy Turtle. It was a bit of a shock to be confronted by the huge picture, when I knew I was entering a health blog. The whole concept brought me back to the fact that we are all animals, and part of nature regardless of how unnatural we live our lives, and that our needs are all the same. My only criticizm, is that one of the blogs has an outdated food guide pyramid.
ReplyDeleteI really like the variety of blog topics the class did! For me personally, theme is more important than design, so I wasn't affected too much by design layout.
ReplyDeleteMy favorites would have to be the one about Growing your own food (the recipes are especially helpful, as a vegetarian). I also got a lot of use out of the healthy traveling blog. I'm an avid traveler, but health is always the last thing on my mind while I travel. This blog really brought the impact of that to my attention.
I too really liked this project and enjoyed seeing all of the blogs and the variety of information seen on them!
ReplyDeleteIt would be hard to pick just two that I liked but the little things that were added like calorie counters, information searches, and other guides plus the colorful graphs helped me to read the blogs better and to stay interested. I particularly liked the pictures on the Yoga-mind body fitness connection-very easy on the eyes and very relaxing!
My kids are fighting acne and so it was nice to read the articles and to watch the video on acne regarding laser resurfacing-something I would like to learn more about!
I agree with the comments of those who posted before me. There were a lot of different topics that I found interesting. I found that I was interested in looking at the fitness related blogs over others because lately I've been getting into exercising more. Aside from the fitness blogs, I was drawn to blogs that were colorful and had more interactive tools/widgets and videos. I think that having things like that on websites and blogs are effective because it helps relate the health issue or problem to the person looking at it rather than just reading a generalized overview of facts and information.
ReplyDeleteAs part of my job, i run the website for the division of infectious diseases at ucsd - because of that, i've really gotten into HTML/website design. I think that due to this, i'm more into seeing how different things can be made in terms of layout, etc. Something really neat to me throughout all these blogs is that though we only had a select few background theme layouts, we were all able to create looks that were entirely different. No one blog looks the same - i think this weaves nicely into brandind and identity. Each blog really set itself apart without even taking into account the actual content of the blog. For me personally, i'm interested in fitness related blogs - there are so many different ways to get your body moving and healthy - i love learning about the different ways people can achieve fitness in an enjoyable manner!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis was definitely a new experience for me! I had never created a blog or website before so it was a little challenging trying to make my blog appealing and after looking at all the other blogs I see there is a LOT you can do with a blog! It was fun reading everyone's blogs and I really enjoyed the health turtle blog as well. I was really impressed with the Red Lotus' layout and blog design, it was really advanced and eye catching. It just goes to show how many different things can be done to catch a persons eye and it varies for everyone. I really liked the how to train for a marathon blog too because I am also interested in fitness related topics. Overall this was a great way to see how different health information can be conveyed and how influential layout and design can be in delivering a message.
ReplyDeleteAll of the blogs were very interesting. The variety and similarity of the topics chosen paint a picture of current trends in society. For example, yoga is currently very popular and is well represented amongst the blogs. I thought UR sex blog was very interesting in that it also attempted to draw in a younger audience through the language used- such as shortening words and using slang of the audience targeted (i imagined teens to young adults.)This whole blog experience has shown that web advertising is just like television or print:: the visuals draw you in. In the steroid use blog- the picture of a young kid with hyper muscles was effective in shocking me to read the whole site. This proved to me that regardless of the genius text within a website, it will be the visuals that pull in a health consumer- since I noticed that I tended to read only those sites that had interesting visuals.
ReplyDeleteThe "Grow Your Own Grub" blog was the one that was most interesting to me. I LOVE food and anything that has to do with food. I may be a little biased here because back home we have our own little "farm" in our backyard and so I'm used to eating fresh veggies (works out great since I'm a vegetarian). I also love how there are links to vegetarian recipes of different cultures. While I was looking through the blogs, I wasn't really paying attention to the design and layout since content was most important to me.
ReplyDeleteI thought that all the blogs were really interesting to look at! The variety of health topics and design schemes was great to see, considering the different levels of blogging experience throughout the class. It was interesting to see how yoga was well-represented, which made sense because it is an upcoming trend in the field of health. I enjoyed learning more about this topic, as I am really inflexible!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Dave, who stated that the blogs that really stood out and kept my attention were ones that had an interesting and fun design scheme.
I agree with Alexis in that it is amazing to see all the creativity in the blogs when we only had a few outlines to start from. There is SO much information out there and I thought that creating this blog was good practice of trimming down info into smaller more digestible pieces for people to read. It was also fun to be creative and go off on a health tangent. My favorite was the "grow your own grub" blog because it was very visually appealing.
ReplyDeleteI was not very interested in reading blogs before this class but now I have a new respect for the amount of effort that people put into getting their passion or interests out there for others to read.
I did find this to be an interesting assignment because we could pick our own topics, I really enjoyed reading the posts and stories people put on my blog. Looking at the other blogs was interesting as well. I like the UR Sexual one because there is a lot of things on there to look at (the commercial made me laugh) and do (links for more info, skin disease finder).
ReplyDeletePeople talked about the turtle one-I had to check that one. Great pictures there! and suggestions/information.
They were all interesting to look at. Lots of different topics, and different ways to go about the topics. Keeping this delicious account, we are set with a surplus of information to stay healthy! :)
All these blogs were so fun to look at! The first thing that caught my eye to any of the blogs was the title and caption. I found that color and graphics were also really nice to see when viewing the blogs; it makes for a more memorable experience. I thought the UR Sexual blog was very nicely set up, with appropriate links and important information. I liked the breast-feeding blog as well, but maybe that's just because I am a true supporter of it (though I've never had to do it...yet). I think it's important to get it's benefits out there though, so this was set up nicely to do that. It also had interaction with others in asking them to share their stories, which I thought was a great idea. It kind of serves as a support group in a sense.
ReplyDeleteI found that the more interesting and relevant the topic was to me, the less I cared about graphics, ect., and all the visuals.
I also found the topics chose to be the most interesting outcome from this assignment. Many people chose to take on very specific topics in very different manners. I found it interesting that some blogs were useful how-tos, some provided commentary, some advertised a certain lifestyle, and many students chose to provide information on health topics that had personally affected them at some point.
ReplyDeleteSeeing the diversity of where our health interests are just in this one class, I am confident that the field of public health will continue to diversify and address new health issues as they arise. The broad range of public health interests mixed with constant evolution of the field continues to deliver exciting challenges everyday.
My favorite part of this assignment was getting to see all of the different health interests of everyone! In my experience blogs are really useful for a few different reasons. #1 looking at blogs can help us understand what the public discussion is surrounding an issue. I have found them helpful for preparing for health topic Q & A sessions. #2 they can provide a place for experiencial deiscussion. After talking to a medical provider and then talking to friends sometimes we want another opinion and blogs are a resource for people to research answers.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed looking at everyone's blog. It was interesting to read about the diverse topics and the approaches in which the information was presented. Blogging is new for me, I was aware of blogs but had never written one or participated in discussion boards so this was definitely a new experience.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed going through the different blogs. The red lotus blog was pretty well organized and eye catching. I was interested to see the content of the different blogs and was particularly interested in the fittness related blogs. The variety of topics that were at display was fascinating and i enjoyed going through the content.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the Healthy Travelling Blog as it was very interesting and some very practical advice.I aslo found The Healthy Turtle blog pretty innovative and eye catching. This entire exercise has exposed me to blogging and i hope to continue and improve my blogging skills in the future thanks to PH 663....
This exercise was fun!i had never created a blog before so took time to figure out how everything worked but overall i feel it was a good experience. It was interesting to read others blogs and know about different health issues. I want to congratulate Dave for the positivity that he has developed with time and i was impressed when i read his blog. It was kind of motivating. I also liked the blogs on various health topics such as Exercise and how healthy home grown vegetables are. The travelling blog was informative too. Overall a great learning experience for me!
ReplyDeleteI really liked all the blogs and now i think my blog is not good enough .. Ahhh !! Now, i got some more ideas and I will try to improve my blog.
ReplyDeleteDave's Red society blog is undoubtely superb and along with that I really like Your guide to Healthy food and UR sexual Health blog. There is lot of information related to the health and the most important thing is that this information can be understood easily and can be applied to daily life.
It is fun blogging. I had never thought of it to be so interesting. All the blogs are really great, but the most eye-catching were about the Yoga-The mind and body fitness Connection and especially The Red Lotus Society blog. Way of presenting the information and pictures are really cool.
ReplyDeleteThis concept has opened new horizons for me, and I think people can come to know about the thoughts, different persons are having about that topic. Well, for me it is a good way to enhance one's understanding about many useful things in life.
Way to go guys..... keep on blogging!!!
I really enjoyed everybody's blog and I have to agree with Alexis that our blog layouts were completely different and that took me by surprise because I was worried that all our blogs would look the same. I really enjoyed creating and looking at everybody's blog, I believe that it is a good way to be interactive and share information with each other.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed watching your blogs. I was really intrigued by the creativity and the color of some blogs in particular. Some of the blogs were very informative, such as the UR Sexual Health.
ReplyDeleteThe topics for the class blog very diverse ranging from topics such as sickle cell disease to the benefits of hiking on health. They content were generally very interesting. The best ones had photos, cartoons and links to other sites. My favorites were the ones with tools which engages the reader such as the calorie counter.
ReplyDelete