Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Blog #10 - Review of Health/Entertainment Websites

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

The website I chose to review was the The Norman Lear Center 'Hollywood, Health, & Society.' I'm not surprised that something like this exists in today's world, but I really had no idea how big of an impact it has made. I mean, there is even an award ceremony (9 years running) for the best health issue portrayals! Looking at the 'Applause' tab, shows such as Bones, House, CSI, Law & Order, Grey's Anatomy, and even Malcolm in the Middle have access their resources. Then seeing the number of health institutes and organizations that are offering praise are just as amazing.

This is such an important program to have in a world that is so glued to entertainment that we now hold it in our hand! It is necessary that the shows accurately portray health issues because their influence is so great. There is also the ability to use such shows to pass along health messages. If the beloved Grey from Grey's Anatomy found a lump in her chest during a self-exam, how many woman do you think would check themselves after the show? How many husband would then ask their wife if they check for breast cancer on a regular basis?

I would say this sort of stuff is the future for Public Health but I guess the future is NOW. As the world continues to shift its focus towards higher health, all industries will follow suit (even if they might be motivated by opportunities to make $$). The best example I saw tonight was the Ralph's in Hillcrest now has right below its store sign "Fresh & Healthy Foods." Or how about the second tab on McDonald's website - "FOOD, NUTRITION, AND FITNESS". (Sidenote: Going in the nutrition tab, they now label their 'burgers' as just 'sandwiches'.) I'm still not sure how the 1350 calorie Big Mac, Fries, and Coke fits into a 'fitness' tab though. :-)

Is this another fad or our natural evolution as we expand the collective human intellect?


P.S. If you're on campus tomorrow, come check out our group's booth at the Health Fair from 11am-2pm. You could win a spa gift certificate!

20 comments:

  1. I too reviewed the Norman Lear Center "Hollywood, Health, & Society". It is interesting that this would be there to help the public and screen writers alike. There is quite a bit there with links to government cites as well. I like that they have it broken up into different populations too.

    I am concerned though that these shows have people looking to them for their health information. Some of it is right on, some a little off, but like so much of our society-these shows lead us to believe that it all happens in less than 60 minutes. In particular is "House". This show has a whole team of medical professions following one or two patients only doing everything from emergency room to MRIs to blood drawing, to brain surgery! Of course, they "experiment" until they get it right!!! Perhaps there should be some partnership going on between public health and the TV shows to perhaps highlight certain diseases/conditions and prevention-what better PSA could you get?

    Anyway...(sorry for the rant!) the Kaiser Family Foundation always has a wealth of information with the research behind it. I think this is a good source for everyone-lay people, PH'ers, or medical professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reviewing the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) website two items of interest immediately jumped out at me. The first thing was the fact that a health message embedded in an episode of Grey’s Anatomy quadrupled the awareness of the health message after the show aired. While it disturbs me somewhat that important health messages need to be embedded in our television entertainment in order to be heard and processed, I think it is a sad reality of health communication in today’s world.

    Secondly, a March, 2009 report on the future of health care journalism discussed the financial pressures on the media industry and competition with the internet, and its resulting impact on quality health reporting. In the article the Association of Health Care Journalists indicated they are more optimistic about the future of health journalism than they are about journalism, in general. This struck me as very interesting since our guest speakers, Kim Edwards and Debra Kain, from this past Tuesday painted a very different picture, saying that there are very few health journalists employed at local television stations or newspapers.

    I then checked out the USC Annenberg – The Norman Lear Center website and was truly amazed by how much behind the scenes research, consultation and work goes into creating edu-tainment with accurate information. The credentials of their Advisory Board members are very impressive (medical experts, producers, professors, members of the writer’s guild, etc. etc) as is their on-going research content. I was further impressed by the fact that they were partnered with the CDC, NCI, USC and numerous other universities to study the content and impact of tv health stories on audiences. At least if this is where the general public is getting the bulk of their health information, it is a relief to know that extreme efforts are being taken to ensure its validity and reliability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reviewed the Hollywood, Health, and Society program at USC's Norman Lear Center. I had no idea that such a thing exists and had always wondered how the shows got all their information! I always thought that part of it was true, but most of it was just made up.

    I think it's great that this program exists. Most People see things on TV and automatically think it's completely true But for the most part the lay audience assumes they are receiving legit information. It is important then for a service like this to exist to assure people are getting correct information about the various diseases and disorders if TV shows are the only way they are getting information (if they believe all of it).

    I like that they have award ceremonies that recognize those writers and tv shows that have the most accurate portrayal of health issues. I remember the Desperate Housewives season where one of the main characters gets cancer. They follow her through several phases like when she finds out she has cancer, and even the process of getting chemo. They also showed hardships (as well as support) that she faced or received including ones that occurred in her personal relationships with family and friends. It wasn't as medically based, but the social effects were what was a little more important. I think viewers can relate to that more.

    I think it's also great to know that the information is coming from reliable sources... at least we know the public won't be misguided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Pat. I too reviewed HH&S site. It's a great way of portraying and giving in the information for health story-lines to the entertainment industry and it is very critical for the information to be precise & updated, since this is what the entertainment industry puts forth to the public in an entertaining fashion.

    I especially liked the concept of "Applause" section in this site, whereby different channels are crediting The Norman Lear Center for providing with such an information & in a way it is also reinforcing to the people working behind the concept of this website.

    I was also taken aback by the Sentinel for Health Awards which is running for past 8 years, which gives awards to daytime dramas based on how well have they addressed the health topic in their story-line. This in a way may also reflect the popularity of that respective drama.

    All together it was really entertaining surfing this site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave the Hollywood, Health, and Society program at USC's Norman Lear Center a whirl. I'm a House and Law and Order; SVU addict, and i always wondered where they got their medical information from. They couldn't possibly harass a practicing physician only a regular basis for this information - or research it themselves - or pay to have a professor on staff. Its good to know they my favorite shows are getting their information from a reuptable source.

    It does say something about our culture though - we are so addicted to television that there actually has to be a body of information for script writers. And a LOT of shows apparently use this wealth of information.

    I'd rather see people getting up and doing things about their own health ailments than learning about them via their favorite programs. But alas, as stated earlier, i am a fan of two shows that use this site so i cannot be too much of a critic.

    I think that this is an excellent idea as it ensures that the information imparted through these shows is as accurate as possible. i'm all for learning without effort and watching shows with this sort of educational under pinning is just that - subliminal education. Hear hear couch potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hollywood, Health and Society site was very interesting. I agree that it is unfortunate that watching drama on television is a real source of medical information for people, however, it is a great way to reach many people when they are really paying attention. The added bonus, is that writers are interested in getting the information right, and with the added award shows, the extra time it may take to learn the information may provide some motivation. As a general rule, I assume that television shows are more interested in sensation than information, and it is nice to be proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I found interesting in that the Kaiser Family Foundation website (KFF) serves both the domestic and international health audiences. In addition, the KFF website targets the everyday lay person in complicated matters such as health care reform and US global health policy, but also provides a substantial amount of resources for the more advanced health care professional.
    I enjoyed seeing the organization offer materials that explained health in a policy context that the public could understand. For example, during the 2004 elections they provided a comparison of the AIDS/HIV position that each candidate took. This breaking down and side by side comparison is extremely helpful in ensuring that the public is well informed on the health care issues that the care about only. The KFF filters through the campaign messages to deliver an unbiased comparison of health opinions, which in many sources of media is rare.
    The overall unbiased and broad presentation of health matters makes the KFF a valuable website for those seeking personal and international health information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I decided to review the Hollywood, Health, and Society program at USC's Norman Lear Center. Its great that shows are actually trying to make their health information as accurate as possible. I am huge House MD show fan and I had always wondered how they came up with the accuracy of the illness or the disease that they covered; I guess I know know (as well as having MD consult the writers).
    Vicarious learning is a very effective and easy way to reach out to a mass audience. I recall when I the show Baywatch was very popular, and I remember reading on a newspaper article that a boy of 4 years old had saved his mother's life because of his quick thinking of performing CPR. When asked where he has learned he said that he learned from watching the show Baywatch. I know this is a bit different than depicting health accuracy, but the big picture is observational/vicarious learning combined with mass media make for a powerful channel to reach the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also looked at the KFF website. I specifically looked at the "How Healthy is Prime Time" report. I think it's a great idea to put health information in shows. The study mentions that TV makes people aware of issues they may never have become aware of otherwise (they say 1 in 4 storylines are about rare illnesses, which might be a lot if we are focusing on getting health info out there about more relevant topics but it is still raising awareness on issues, and it still means 75% are on more common issues).
    The study said putting messages in a show is like teaching through storytelling, something we already learned is a good way to capture an audiences attention.
    One of the most interesting things I found in the study was they looked at the popular shows watched in each ethnicity and types of health messages those shows portrayed. That could be a really great way to know how to get certain messages out to certain populations.
    I find this topic interesting. TV is a way a lot of people relax, to put health information on it is a great way to get messages out. They have enough commercials for junk food, fast food restaurants etc. Good to put in some useful messages too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found the Hollywood, Health & Society program’s website really interesting! I agree with Pat, that I had not a clue that this type of program even existed. It is such a brilliant idea too, because individuals already watching a television program or some form of media, is likely to be decently engaged (at least more than during a commercial), which makes for the perfect opportunity to plug health information. I completely agree with the program’s thinking, that a majority of people really do believe all the health information/facts that are presented on a fictious television show (i.e. Grey’s Anatomy). It is great that this program exists in order to get the facts correct for the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like the majority of my classmates, I also reviewed the Hollywood, Health, & Society website. I was suprised about what I learned. I had no idea such a site existed. I figured that writers of these shows (especially the medical based ones) had to get their information from somewhere but a website like the Hollywood, Health, & Society never crossed my mind.

    Television is very influential in people's lives so I think it's great that writers are trying to write accurate scripts. It isn't the ideal way for people to learn about diseases or infection but it's better then nothing. These shows can prompt people to seek more information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I took a look at the Norman Lear Center's page online. The thought of a website like this existing had honestly never occured to me, but I think it's a great example of finding your niche in Public Health. I saw some interesting quotes on the main page. For example:
    "According to the 2005 Porter Novelli HealthStyles survey, over half of regular primetime drama/comedy viewers reported that they learned something about a disease or how to prevent it from a TV show."
    That quote seems pretty encouraging- TV is teaching us something useful for once! But I also know that not everything reported about illness in these shows is correct (Norman Lear Center or not). There have definitely been a few times where I found myself yelling at the screen during House because they were either glossing over a critical factor of disease prevention, or just misinforming in general. In the same way that women taking a quick self-defense class can be left with a false sense of security, people who get their health information from television might have a false sense of confidence in the accuracy of said information. Especially if they know about an organization that supposedly does credible fact checking. I am also made a bit uncomfortable by the idea that people may simply wait for TV shows to tell them what to be aware of. If Desperate Housewives decides cancer is important, then viewers at home sure end up 'knowing' a lot about cancer. So what happens when the highly-funded campaigns start edging out other health concerns. While there's nothing actually wrong with that, just good 'ol capitalism at work, I hope a television health monopoly isn't something we have to pour more money into in a few years because people end up placing too much confidence in their programs. Of course, I don't mean to imply that I am opposed to the Norman Learn Center or other such organizations. I think people are going to get their information from TV shows whether we like it or not, so we might as well try to guide these shows as best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I reviewed the KFF Media and Health site. What a jam-packed site! There is a ton of information on some really relevant, currant topics. One of the more interesting briefs i looked at was about partnering with TV shows to imbed health messages...and why not!!! Companies use TV for product placement, why shouldn't public health professionals work with TV companies to "place" health messages throughout the script. I have noticed recently a few shows using the new hands-free cell phone law as a story line addition. I think this is a place we can really make some headway. Additionally i really liked the section on utilizing new digital media thoughtfully and strategically. There is a hue difference in effect and impact of simply using/utilizing new digital media and applying it strategically to health promotion campaigns. Thankfully, a company like Kaiser has the budget to do the research and a great website to showcase it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I reviewed the USC’S Normal Lear Center “Hollywood, Health, & Society” and found it was exceptionally interesting . I was already familiar with the TV show House and the way they fight diseases always amazed me. HH&S website is a great source with vast amount of information on diseases. It is not surprising that many different TV shows use this website to obtain information needed for their show. I believe that using TV as a source for presenting health information is an intelligent and a great way to inform the public. More people of different age groups watch TV than read newspapers and magazine articles related to health. In today’s fast-paced world, everyone is too busy to take time out to take care of their health . However using entertainment as a source for health information can reach out and educate the general public. Feedback's from producers,directors and researchers and awards ceremony shows the success of HH&S website.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am an ER fanatic and I was watching some sort of special a few years back where the producers were saying how they have actual doctors on set to make sure everything is as accurate and real as possible. I think "Hollywood, Health, & Society" is a great program. Some people actually get their bulk of medical information from television and I think it is great how producers, writers and health professional are teaming up to make credible information available to the general public even if it is through t.v. dramas. The Sentinel Awards are also a good idea because it acknowledges those writers and producers for doing a great job in getting that information out to the viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I browsed through the Hollywood, Health & Society website. I never thought that such a program would exist. I guess (like others have already mentioned) this is how E.R, Grey's Anatomy, CSI, etc. come up with all those interesting story lines. I think it's important that all health and illness/disease information in TV shows and movies be accurate whether it is a fictional story line or not because people take what they see and think it's true or that's the only information they'll have. I suppose that doesn't need to be true for zombie and thriller type movies. It is a great thing that this program exists as a resource for TV shows and movie writers. It is also surprising to see how many organizations are involved in the program and the prestige that each of them holds (NIH, CDC, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I reviewed the Hollywood, Health and Society website and I am so happy to see that something like this exists. I have also wondered if the facts on my favorite shows were actually true. Sidenote, my boyfriend makes fun of me for believing what I see on Grey's Anatomy and House, but looks like he can't do that anymore! Just a small victory for me. Anyway, I think it's great that there is a program making sure accurate information airs on these widely watched programs. The fact is we are a society that absolutely loves dramatic, sensationalized television, so this is a perfect channel to reach A LOT of people. It seems like some people might view this as a pathetic way to reach people, while they are glued to their television sets sitting on a couch not being active or healthy at all. However, it is what it is and this is the way society seems to be right now so if we can reach people AT ALL and make any sort of impact then we've done something. Discussing important, accurate, health issues on major TV shows is a great way to get these issues into peoples heads.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I reviewed the 'Hollywood, Health, & Society' website and was very pleased to see the content. I often wonder how accurate the information is portrayed on television and in movies. I can see how inaccurate information could pose a threat to people who do not have additional sources of news.

    I was surprised to see that organizations like the CDC and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation support this effort. I admire them for thinking outside of the box in regards to health communication. This shows how far we have come form the previous model of health communication. In this previous model we would assume that people would read the boring pamphlets and newsletters that are distributed at Dr offices and hospitals. This new approach edutainment really meets the audience where they are at, even if that means in a reality t.v show or soap opera. I think this is definitely a step in the right direction and I look forward to a continued health education presence.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like my classmates I reviewed the hollywood health and society site, and I agree with what most of them say, I was very pleased with the information. I really was surprised that such a site existed. I think that this site is very important to promote because the main media in which people obtain information from is used, especially individuals that tend not to listen to the news but watch reality shows or tv shoes, I believe that it will reach an audience that at times is hard to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Kaiser family foundation is a major producer of policy analysis and research. They provide news and information for the health policy community and they help run large scale health information campaigns in the U.S and around the world .Their website has useful information about U.S and Global health policy, Minority health and women’s health policy. In addition there is a lot of material about media and health. I particularly liked the Kaiser Fast facts which are a compilation of slides with figures and tables showing information such as the distribution of the U.S population by race and ethnicity, health insurance status by race ethnicity and New Aids cases and HIV-Infection deaths by race ethnicity. The information is also available as power point slides making it useful for class presentations, teaching, grants etc. This site is definitely going on my delicious bookmark

    ReplyDelete