Happy Weekend Everyone!
I found the presentation by Andy Goodman to be extremely applicable to the public health field. There is a great power in connecting with someones heart as opposed to their mind. The effect of these connections seem to be longer lasting as well. This type of techique may be beneficial in some scenarios to motivate behavior changes in individuals, groups, and organizations. However, when convincing the academic community, professionals, or policymakers of various claims, there is a major challenge that public health officials face: Are their claims supported by scientifically-sound experiment results? This requirement prevents the presenter from focusing completely on story telling. It is still very important to know your audience and know what message will have the greatest impact. If they will only listen to dry facts, then dry facts must be served. It could be appropriate to start/end a presentation with something similar to Mr. Goodman's suggestions. It is very possible to still present strong factual data in the form of a story. The more this is integrated into the public health field, the more it will be accepted and sought after.
Personally, I think story telling is a beautiful technique that has been forgotten a great deal in the modern era. For thousands of years, this was how humans shared information, history, and emotions. With such a shift to technology and growth, there has not been much room for story telling. People want the facts, fast and with as little 'fluff' as possible. However, this mindset has created a society that pushes 200 mph into the future with little, if any, signs of slowing down.
As for me, I'll take the long version of the story with time for a few good laughs and a cup of tea.
Look forward to your thoughts!
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also think story telling is a great technique in a presentation. It's a hook, something that draws you in. Sometimes staggering statistics can also do the trick, but really it's the technique of striking an emotional response in the audience. In my job in undergrad I presented to a lot of different groups and story telling was an excellent way to get people involved, especially college students. I would have a story mixed into a presentation and often times ask members of the audience to share a similar story or comment on the one that I just told. Whenever I did this the audience was 10 times more engaged and I think it reinforced what they learned and influenced later recall of the information. If an audience member isn't engaged how likely will it be that they remember what the presenter said? It's very easy to zone out in a dry presentation, I find myself doing it too if I don't feel engaged. While it is important that scientific findings and statistics are reported to back up an organization, story telling can be a useful tool. I think presenters would find it much more effective to employ a little of both techniques.
ReplyDeleteI think story telling is a great way to get people engaged in your cause right from the beginning. It could be an especially useful tool when kicking off an intervention, because it creates an opportunity for the listener to relate through life experiences. Although statistics can also be useful, sometimes the facts are so extraordinary that it may be hard to get the mind wrapped around them, or so boring that the listener can disconnect from the subject because it does not apply to them. Whereas, story telling has the opportunity to draw people right from the beginning and make the experience personal. This technique may be a little less effective with academia, because we are trained to relate to statistics, and often do not accept a concept without them. It could also be seen as wasting time because the presenter does not get right to those numbers we love so much, increasing the time spent away from our desks.
ReplyDeleteI agree that stories are more engaging. I think they are a great way to teach people and to get a message across. Sure some people like the numbers and statistics, but personally I feel if there is an interesting story that goes along with these numbers, it helps me remember it, probably because I am more attentive. I think what Dave mentioned above, about starting a presentation with a story is a good way to get the audience's attention right at the beginning of what you are about to teach them. But I guess this all goes back to knowing who your audience is and what you are trying to get across to them. Are they just interested in the numbers or do you need something else to engage them and get a specific message across.
ReplyDeleteI have never met anyone, academic or otherwise, who did not enjoy a good story. I think our society underestimates them all too often. Many cultures use storytelling to teach younger generations about their history, cultural traditions, beliefs, and rituals. Maybe we think we are too sophisticated for storytelling, and don’t recognize the power of a good story. Before we can sell someone on an idea or social issue, we have to make sure they care about the situation. Beginning with an anecdotal personal story, more often than not, engages the audience on an emotional level, raising their interest, and making them want to hear more.
ReplyDeleteAndy Goodman demonstrated this very well with his short presentation where he began with the story of T.R. & Zach and then segued into the power presentation for “Friends of the Children” by Katherine Milton. Storytelling is an art form of good communication, which we may be losing as we rapidly shift to the more sterile and impersonal form of electronic technology to communicate our thoughts and ideas
I agree that one of the most effective ways to connect to an audience is to tell a good, sincere story. Personally, I’ve found that I have created longer lasting relationships with people, companies, and issues that have a real salient story to tell behind it. Just think of Joe of the Plumber! Agreeing with Andy Goodman, I think that storytelling is very underused in the public health arena.
ReplyDeleteOftentimes, we are so concerned with getting the facts and figures out to the public to convey the seriousness and necessity of the particular issue we are advocating, that we completely forget to personally engage the audience. This can be detrimental to any public health issue. I think it is very effective to reel in the audience initially with a story, then hit them with the statistical information and particular facts.
I agree with the previous posts that our society is running 200 miles per hour with no slowing down, so it makes for an environment that is not very conducive to a long, personal story. In terms of print media or web-based media, a possible start would be to pique the audience's interest by introducing a person or small group, which could get the audience to read or click further. Anything to get people to slow down!
Um. Where can I sign up for Friends of the Children... and I mean as the child...
ReplyDeleteIn all seriousness though, i used storytelling, all aspects of it, imparting the story and receiving the story, as an outlet. I am a bookworm - and proud of it.
I think that there is such tangability in stories, true or not. People find comfort in a hero/heroine that they can relate to or strive to be. Think about this from other aspects as well... isn't TV just a form of story telling? Its pretty fair to say that a large portion of the US is gripped by one program or another... whether it be a reality TV show, sitcom, or drama... we are hooked.
So why not apply this kind of "hooking" to something like public health campaigns. Just as Goodman suggests, once everyone is hooked, then the numbers and stats can be presented. Its a great "foot in the door" method - and more than anything, storytelling is an entertaining catalyst to get a plight across.
I won't like, I came close to shedding a tear during T.R.'s story.
After watching Andy Goodman in his presentation there was nt a single fault i could find in the way he statrtd the presentation and in the way he connected to the audience. Story telling is a powerful tool often neglected by presenters. Honestly i was hooked from the moment he started his presentation.
ReplyDeleteStory telling helps us to connect with the audience at an emotional level and create a level of understanding that i personally feel can never be achieved by watching slides filled with endless data. There have been countless instances in my student life that i have been zoned out or overwhelmed with presentations just filled with data. Agreed that data is important for people in the field of academics and statistics but if you need to connect with the audience presenting overwhelming data might not be the only way to proceed.
Story telling is a very strong communication tool and should be encouraged and incorporated by people in the field who want to put there message across.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI think story telling is a great technique in getting your message across because it engages the listener. If I was one of the audience members and had to sit through a presentation with all of those wordy slides, either I would have been day dreaming or falling asleep! Stories make the audience start to visualize things, get the mental picture and it can also stir up some emotions. This is what gets the audience to remember the message. Stories help relate to real-life experiences which can be interesting for the audience and once again, effectively get the message across.
ReplyDeleteStory telling is an amazing tool that can leave a lasting impression. I think storytelling and the use of examples are great in communication and can most certainly be applied to health communication. A story can be exciting and interesting and really help the audience understand so much more. I think storytelling also goes back to targeting those in the heuristic mode, in a sense. Like the example Goodman gave of the drawn out powerpoint, with so much writing, you really have to find a way to captivate the audience first, allowing them to understand and become interested in the topic at hand. Once you have gained there attention you are then able to offer up more information. Speaking from a personal standpoint, I know I am far more interested in hearing about real-life experiences, and will help me remember in what context that topic was being discussed, rather than just reading word after word.
ReplyDeleteIn relation to public health campaigns, story telling could and should be used to further get the message across about our various health issues today.
How many times have you sat through boring lectures with speakers who try to spill out as many facts out at you as possible, yet in the end all you remember is watching the clock? I think Mr. Goodman has dug up the grave of storytelling as a form of speech. Although many people might not see storytelling as a "professional" way of getting an idea through to the audience, I believe it's the best way to remember all the important fact through the connection the speaker creates with the audience. Mr. Goodman shows the use of storytelling should not be limited to an audience full of children but also on adults as well when trying to get a message across.
ReplyDeleteStorytelling is absolutely a great tool for engaging people with your message. We know from several different 'ways of knowing' that people's emotions are very strong motivators, and that when we can ignite them, we can see some serious results. Of course, that's not always the most ethical approach, so to speak. Unfortunately, some people tell 'stories' when they don't have facts or evidence. But as we saw from the presentation, some people with great facts and evidence often lose their audience in all the information. I think perhaps our opinion of the effectiveness of storytelling (as well as that of the audience in the video) may have been swayed by the opening: Mr. Goodman used an extremely dry and dull example to contrast his message of storytelling. But his point is valid and all too common.
ReplyDeleteI think, as with all things, a good balance must be achieved between simply telling a good story and providing all the information. And that's why we have classes about Health Communication!
After watching that video, I don't think that anyone would disagree with Andy Goodman's argument that story telling is essential. However, the reality of how we measure an organization's success is often so far from the "feeling" that we get from a story. I have found this to be especially true in non-profit organizations that are heavily focused on fundraising. People are involved with non- profit and special population organization for a variety of reasons and motivations. I have noticed a trend in developing an executive committee or board that tries to recruit the "heavy hitters" in the community; often times these people are talented and savvy business leaders. Now although they can bring a variety of talent and insight into an organization, they also bring the parameters by which we measure success. These parameters are often fiscally and tactically driven. In one particular organization that I was a part of, we had a medical researcher who was in an administrative role deliver the message of the vision and mission of the organization to community. This man was so focused on numbers and figures that more often than not, people were turned off by their experience with the organization and there was a definite lack of engagement. We would have been much better off by telling a compelling story of a benefactor of the organization, just as Andy Goodman suggested.
ReplyDeleteI think that story telling is a magical way to engage people but I also think that we need to re-evaluate the standard by which we judge success in an organization. What is more important, the amount of money an organization raises every year or the precious lives that are touched through generous donors and volunteers of that organization?
Honestly speaking i started hearing Mr. Goodman's speech from the moment he started with the story!All of us have gone through countless lectures and know how difficult and boring it gets to continuously listen to facts and data. Even for a story to catch the audience's attention,it has to be narrated in a smart and short way as again sitting through 2 hours of a story would not be very interesting to me. So i feel story telling is an art and like one learns the various health communication skills,this art once learnt can be incorporated into public health. It is a great way of building a connection with people and putting facts across in a more logical and practical way. Reciting a live example and sharing experiences always makes the message more interesting. It helps people to think deeply and engages them more.
ReplyDeleteStory has great power in our lives. It has the power to connect us to ourselves and to others. Students and adults who at other times are restless will lean forward and become captivated when told a story.Stories work and stories have value because they help us understand. Through stories, facts and raw data gain meaning. Stories are how we best learn and visualize information. They simplify and clarify even the most complex information. Since childhood, we all are fascinated to hear stories and remember the message conveyed, if any, for a long time. The way Andy Goodman started off made me glued to his presentation and I tried to search and watch his whole presentation.
ReplyDeleteTo comment on what Dr. Mulvihill said, when speaking to those we typically think of as data driven decision makers we have to remember that they are first human and then professionals. We still get to use human factors (emotion, humor, wit) to draw people to the hard data. I think case stuides are a nice example of a tool that binds storytelling and facts. Case stuides provide a quick snap shot of the facts as experienced through a particular group. They apply real life to the data and give a human point of reference to the picture you are trying to paint.
ReplyDeleteOur generation more than anyone has seen the demise of storytelling as a learning tool. I can recall every step of the transition from the rich dialogue of natural storytelling to the rehearsed and unnatural flow of Power point presentations. I faintly recall the times when teachers were equipped only with a piece of chalk and their stories, forcing them to engage students with their words and now facts and statistics. Gradually, they moved from chalk to overhead projectors to Power points to a state where now lectures can be recorded as mp3s and slides can be downloaded for an entire semester in under five minutes. Entire degrees can be received without ever having had stepped into the classroom. I find this amazing and still have trouble grasping how any such program can be successful in properly teaching any subject. Learning is all about making connections with the material and applying them to personal situations. There is only so much connect, if any, that can happen between a human being and a Power point slide. I imagine I am not the only one that has a hard time digesting a presentation of 60 slides of information into something that is tangible and relevant to my experiences. The incorporation of technology has no doubt vastly improved the breadth and reach of education. However, I worry that the decrease of interpersonal interactions taking place in the learning process is harming the learning process.
ReplyDeleteI think storytelling is a very effective way to get an audiences attention. The audience is more likely to pay attention and retain the information if it is something that interests them or they find to be entertaining. In my personal experience, I am able to get more out of a lecture or presentation if there is a story and visual aids that are heart felt or something I could relate to accompanying all of the statistical and concrete facts. In health communication, telling a story is effective because it allows the receiver to relate to the people and events in the story at some level. It also allows them to see how disease or illness affects others and inspires them to spread awareness of the effects of the disease or illness.
ReplyDeleteThe more interactive a lecture or presentation is the more like it is you will have your audience’s full attention. Mr. Goodman did just that in the short clip. His speech was interactive by starting with a game in which he asked the audience to guess what story he was telling. With this game, Mr. Goodman was able capture their attention and lead into the purpose of his speech.
ReplyDeleteStory telling is a great way of capturing the attention of any audience whether it is a live audience or a target audience that is reading or listening to a health education piece. In live presentations, story telling can be used at the beginning of a presentation as an “ice breaker” or used at the end to tie everything in the presentation together. When targeting behavior change, story telling can be a very effective method because the target audience will be able to relate to the story (assuming the story is relevant to the behavior they want to change). When taking literacy into account, story telling is also helpful in getting a message across without high literacy text.
I enjoyed the short clip and got a lot from just ten minutes. I agree with Andy Goodman when he says “…story telling is the single most powerful communication tool…”
I do agree with Andy in that story telling is a powerful tool for communication. Just think about how story has affected our history, religion, culture,etc. with oral tradition. Story telling, when projected and express effectively, can help us understand ourselves,friends, and our community.
ReplyDeleteI think that the reason why story telling such an effective way of communicating is becuase it engages the individual, and group members in their emotions. Those emotions can be either sorrow, happiness, sadness, etc. In order to have an effective story telling I believe also that we have to tailor or story to our audience. for example, we wouldn't want to talk about the a children fable to a group of middle age adults.
Overall, I was not too surprise with the statemenet that storytelling was a powerful tool of communication, but it did make me realize that I can incorporate story telling in my professional life in order to make a point to my audience.
Watching this video reminds me of one of the most effective ways to foster awareness and attention of HIV to any audience. Making a condition real by adding a true to life experience makes any presentation more attractive and absorbing, thus making the message more powerful. I worked as a Health Outreach worker for an HIV/AIDS organization and presented to many students and adults the ins and outs of HIV/AIDS. My most powerful presentations, however was when a Positively Speaking individual would accompany me and tell the class their story of living with HIV. The speaker would break boundaries and barriers with the audience because the speaker looked and acted like everyone else in the room. The disease, then, became real to everyone and truly hit home in expressing that HIV/AIDS did not discriminate.
ReplyDeleteStorytelling has been man's greatest method of communication throughout the ages. While numbers and graphs make a presentation look intelligent, the power of a great story allows the message to be better absorbed and have an impact. It only makes sense that organizations capitalize on this to make any message have a greater and more profound reach.
I believe that storytelling is a great mechanism to convey a powerful message.I believe that most people when they attend a presentaion they want to hear passionate stories that will move them. I believe that in Public health it is very important to learn strong communication skills in order to effectively adress an audience. Many presentations are becoming very technical and boring therefore people do not really pay attention to the speaker. I believe that this is a great example of how individuals can be moved from a heuristic mode to a systematic mode. When the audience is moved they have a higher chance of taking actions to issues that are very important to them.I agree with Andy that it is very important to be an effective communicator especially in this field where presentations are constantly made.
ReplyDeleteStorytelling may be an antique way to use these days but it wasn't that long ago that it was the only way of ensuring that the next generation would survive and thrive!
ReplyDeleteAnthropology would show us that for many cultures, that is still true. Why would it not be true for us too? My kids love hearing about past generations (yes, they really do!) and what it took to survive (they were farmers).
But I think it is more than that too-it reminds us of who and what we are, human beings that need to connect with one another and help each other out. I think that is exactly what public health can be-as long as we don't go overboard with the sappy stories and then turn everyone off!
The video demonstrated that Andy Goodmans strategy of Storytelling as a communication method is very effective. I have certainly observed it used many times but I never really thought about it as an intentional method to engage the audience. I always thought good communication was a gift but in PH663 I am beginning to realize that a lot of it can be learned, which is good for me. In my field of research I have observed story telling used frequently. Stem cell research has the potential to cure many ailments and in many science presentations patient advocates for debilitating diseases and conditions such as Alzheimer’s or paralysis come up and talk about their struggle and how stem cells can help them. In fact last week Monday when President Obama gave his speech lifting the federal ban on stem cell research the statement he made that brought tears to my eyes was a story about superman’s (Christopher Reeve’s) struggle with paralysis and advocacy for stem cell research. Here is the excerpt of the story from Obama’s speech …”One of Christopher's friends recalled that he hung a sign on the wall ofthe exercise room where he did his grueling regimen of physical therapy.
ReplyDeleteIt read: "For everyone who thought I couldn't do it. For everyone who
thought I shouldn't do it. For everyone who said, 'It's impossible.'
See you at the finish line." Christopher once told a reporter who was interviewing him: "If you came
back here in ten years, I expect that I'd walk to the door to greet
you."Christopher did not get that chance. But if we pursue this research,
maybe one day - maybe not in our lifetime, or even in our children's
lifetime - but maybe one day, others like him might. “